Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Dirt, rust, and all other kinds of dust inbetween....


So, after my "weathering appearance" at the November garden State RPM meet, I slithered back into relative model railroad obscurity, except for the odd op session on somebody's layout, and the itch to keep weathering some cars. I mean, since I had to put them all away anyway, I might as well do SOMETHING with them!

So, lacking any "artist direction", I went and visited the finest of the fine's website for all things weathered, The Weathering Shop. These guys are the undisputed masters of the craft. Now, if you take the time to click and visit (and I hope you do), most of what you'll see there is all modern stuff, so you might be wondering why the heck am I gushing over it? Well, just because its modern stuff, DOESN'T mean you cant use the techniques they use to your advantage. I mean not only techniques and effects, but tools and supplies, too. But the BEST part of the site is
The Rustbucket Fourms, and while you have to register to look and participate, and the camaraderie and help that I've personally experienced and gotten in the month that I've joined is second to none. The ONLY thing you have to be concerned with is that these guys take things SUPER seriously. If you don't have an open mind and don't have a thick skin, then don't bother! These guys will go out of their way to help you, answer your (stupid) questions, and explain in detail to you, what is to them a basic procedure to do something that usually seems like "weathering sorcery"! But as I said, be prepared to have your work scrutinized and picked apart to the last brush stroke. They aren't afraid to say your work sucks, but its meant as "tough love", not to be mean for the sake of it. But I will also say, please do NOT let that scare you! There are many (much like myself) that are noobs and are learning (crawling?) along with others and our "weathering masters" to scale the "sacred weathering mountain" to achieve "artistic enlightenment".  Like any segment of the hobby, there are levels of participation, like recreating EXACTING models from a photo, not only the model but the weathering patterns as well. And then, you've got guys who just want to weather a model realistically, even if it's a AHM Burger King reefer! Well, OK, maybe not quite that unprototypical, but you get the idea.

So, since I've waxed poetic far to long about he Weathering Shop and The Rustbucket Forums, let me leave you with a few shots of my (unfinished) projects thus far.....(and, like the guys on the forum, feel free to shoot me down and pick my work apart!)

**Updated with "BEFORE" and "AFTER" photos

"Before"
"After #1"

"After #2"

 "After #3"

 
"Before"

"After #1"


"After #2"
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and thanks for sticking with me during all the "lean times"!
~ Ralph

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ralph,
Your models look great, very realistic. Love that faded & washed lettering!
I've enjoyed your blog; very entertaining.
Thanks for putting the time into it for our enjoyment.
I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Rick
Fillmore Avenue Roundhouse

Ralph Heiss said...

Thank you very, VERY much, Rick!

I've loved to weather my cars ever since I got involved in the hobby at the age of 13 (I'm 47 now), back when all we had was chalk, and we liked it that way! LOL!
I'm now getting serious about it, thanks to the Weathering Shop guys.
And I'm glad I've entertained, life is too short (and sometimes, too serious) to not have fun in a hobby that is SUPPOSED to be fun to begin with!
And stellar modelers like yourself continue to inspire and elevate people like myself without the skills (and the patience that goes along with it!) to do better, so keep up the great work, please!

I hope you and yours also have a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year, too!

Ralph

Riley said...

Love the before and after shots! I really like how you've done the streaking from the lettering. Keep up the good work, Sir. :)

Ralph Heiss said...

Thank you, Riley! I might also add that (almost)all the work was accomplished with Pan Pastels, with the the streaking being accomplished with watercolor pencils. Hmm, maybe I should note that in the blog????? Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and I hope to see more "ops notes" from the PONY soon!