Wednesday, July 20, 2016

All hands on deck, this is the Commodore speaking.......


You know what really frosts my carfloat deck? I mean, besides reading people's endless Facebook posts on how "evil" guns are, that is......
Well, no sense in holding out on y'all........It's the endless proliferation of "Wordless Wednesday" posts.
 
 
I don't know WHY it bugs me, but it does, I guess because it's the "cool" blogging thing to do, and everybody does it. It reminds me of what our moms used to say to us growing up when you tried to justify doing something that all your friends were doing, too - "And if your friends all decided to jump off a cliff, would you follow them?"
 
"Of course ya do it. Everybody does it. I just did it, and I'm ready to do it again" -
Mel Brooks as King Louis in History Of The World, Pt. 1
 
 
Granted, it's not like people are clamoring to read THIS blog (regularly or otherwise), but I've taken blogs off my roll because I was sick and tired of the constant "WW" posts every week. (don't worry Chris, you're safe! LOL!). If you're gonna post a neat picture (prototype or otherwise, but ESPECIALLY of the prototype), I want to know more about it! I mean, I can't know EVERYTHING there is to know about the South Park, Baton Rouge and Pittsburgh Navigation Railway, now can I? And I will fully admit that the idea behind it isn't all bad, but the trend and the proliferation is, and I'm here to bitch about it, dammit!
 
But, you aren't here just to listen to me bitch. (Surely you must be joking. I'm not joking, and don't call me Shirley). So you might be saying right about now, "OK Einstein, what do you propose to do to fix things, then?" Well, I'm no trend setter, but what I'd like to propose instead, is to start "Weblog (or webpage for those who don't "blog") Wednesdays". This is where I do the work for you by finding  interesting layouts or discussions or "proto stuff" to share with you that may be otherwise off your radar (or, that I just think is cool and worth sharing, weather you think so or not!). Plus, it helps keep this blog regular (Yes, Ted DiIorio, a bowl of raisin bran will do that, too), which is a good thing. Now, I inadvertently started doing this a few weeks ago by blowing out a few weeks of Wednesday content by sharing five neat layouts and their blogs with you, but I did miss one that I REALLY want to share with all of you.......
 
Rick De Candido's Filmore Avenue Roundhouse at -
 
Instead of trying to describe Rick's layout to you, I'll let him do it in his own words -
 
"Welcome to Fillmore Avenue Roundhouse, a blog about my HO Scale New York Central System model railroad.  Freelanced, but set in Buffalo, NY (June of 1942), Fillmore is two layouts in one.  The first, and primary one, is a full steam-era engine terminal.  The second one is a passenger car and express car switching operation as part of NYC Central Terminal."
Rick De Candido
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada


I mean, this layout is incredible! You may have seen it first in the pages of the 2015 issue of Model Railroad Planning, but Rick's attention to prototype detail and creating prototypical "operational jobs" is amazing and great food for thought. I'm not going to sell it anymore than that, so read his blog (even if you aren't a slobbering NYC freak!), and you won't be disappointed.
 
OK, so that's it. I hope you grow to enjoy "Webblog Wednesdays". Or, Webpage Wednesdays". Or, "(Inter)Web Wednesdays". I dunno what to call it, but it's here to stay, at least until I forget to update it.....

Ralph
 
 

 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ralph,
Thanks very much for your kind words and enthusiasm about my Fillmore!
I'm so glad to know that you are enjoying my blog.
I promise never ever to do a Wordless Wednesday or Textless Tuesday :)
With Very Best Wishes
Rick

Ralph Heiss said...

Hooray, one less "Wordless Wednesday" blogger in the world! Thanks, Rick!

Ralph