Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ready, Set, Work Session!

      Well, I didn't get nearly as much done on the layout this last week like I wanted to, I admit I slacked off BIG time (damn TV!), but with the guys coming over for a BIG work session this Saturday, I needed to make room down there so not only we can get some work done, but also look like I've been up to SOMETHING since they were over last so I don't get yelled at, not to mention putting some more checkmarks on those work lists I shared in my last post.

      So, something I could finish off real quick (like under an hour quick!) over a fe nights before dinner or bed, was to install some new car sorting/staging shelves. My pal Dave Ramos suggested last time he was over to clear off the bookcase over the West End staging as seen in the photo below behind "Scary Ted" DiIorio -

Lesson learned - Never give Ted a pointed stick.

      Mostly, all it was doing was harboring (non pun intended) junk anyway (oh, and holding up the staging yard, but that's another story), when it could (and should) be put to something useful like storing cars. Dave has similar car shelves that he built himself above and next to his fiddle yard, but since building and mounting something was NOT an option, I used what I had handy. Now, I didn't have all the shelves that has come with this thing when I brought it home all those years ago, and in typical particle board bookshelf construction fashion, the one I did have was about 1/4 thick. If I were to use more of these same shelves, I would not have had much room (only about 2 verticle feet) to stack more than two shelves tall before I ran out of the shelf "peg holes" pre-drilled in the bookcase, and that wasn't going to cut it for my desired car capacity. But being the packrat that I am and having quite a bit of Masonite, Gatorboard and Luan plywood left over from various past projects, I said to myself, "Self, why don't you just cut some shelves out of Luan and have yourself some nice thin shelves to save space?" And that's what I did......Though I admit, since I didn't cut them perfectly to length (they are a little loose, but nothing a screw or some Elmers can't fix), they are a wee bit flimsy (though its not like they have to hold a lot of weight), but it still works, especially after I added a little extra reinforcement. Before I could even install the shelves though, I had to go to Home Cheapo to buy some extra shelf "feet", and then I was able to stack them four shelves tall. My next concern was how to keep the cars from rolling freely and back OFF the shelves, so I thought that foam self-adhesive shelf liner stuff would fit the bill, and on a trip to the Dollar Store, my girlfriend kindly purchased two rolls for me, which was enough to do two shelves per roll -

 The foam bits keep the cars from rolling too far back
 
      So now we have a new spot to place cars before they go back into their staging drawers (below and to the right of the above photo, under the yard), or vice-versa. I also did the same thing at the carfloat end of the layout, by clearing off the top shelf on the rolling library cart that holds up the two Pier carfloats -
 
 
      The problem here was how to keep the cars from not rolling OFF the shelf, but from slamming into the inside end, since they are angled in and down, and Kadee couplers and metal shelves are NOT a good combo when combined with speed! Again, shelf liners to the rescue to at least slow things  down, and then some scrap foam from something we got in a large box recently, to shorten the length of the downward roll, and make for a soft "collision" when it does. One shelf only holds about 10 cars (not as much capacity as I hoped), so maybe I'll have to use the next shelf down, though its a little low on the cart...We'll see.

      The entire project took about an hour over a day or two. A little more "dressing up" to make everything neat, and the project can be checked off the list. This weekend I hope to get a LOT done with the guys here (it's amazing what the offer of free pizza and beer does!), so I'll report back next week with what we did get done (fingers crossed!).
 
      Before I go though, I also want to thank everyone who has been checking in lately and following the blog. There's been at least three new "followers" in the last week or two, so I guess I've been talking about things that people want to read, LOL! I've also noticed some VERY interesting "check-ins", and hopefully they are legit and not spambots....Far away countries like Austria, France, Germany, Australia, Spain, and even one from Iraq (I'm hoping maybe that was an interested fan serving with our Armed Forces?). If indeed these are people checking in from around the world, please drop me a line or post a response, I'd love to hear from you and learn what attracted you to my blog, or even what you'd like me to cover or clarify on in a future blog post. And of course, my "loyal" return visitors from places like El Paso, Manassas and Albany are always nice to see, too. Thanks, guys!

Talk to you all in a few days!

Ralph

 

5 comments:

Riley said...

Not really interested in the blog - The only reason I am here is because my cat walked across the keyboard one night and accidentally engaged the "follow" feature, and I can't figure out how to "unfollow." :D

Seriously, though... I'm really following very closely how you are reasoning through your layout development, which is a big help to my own, very similar, interests and trajectory.

Ted DiIorio said...

I think Riley's cat must have been at my house too...

E-Mann said...

El Paso checking in! We have no los gatos in the house. Dos perros chase them away.

Great to see more layout progress. I've got a series of posts coming that touch on some issues I've discovered while installing track. At least i'll stay on the good side of Scary Ted's blog list.

- Eric

Ted DiIorio said...

OH ok! Riley's cat really didn't come to my house. I LIKE car float operations. There! I said it! :p

Ralph Heiss said...

Oh you crazy kids.....Thanks guys! At least you don't try to jab me with pointy sticks while I work....